Membership in The Men’s Dinner Club of Oklahoma City has always been prized by those whose names appeared on its rolls.
The Club began in the Fall of 1908. Five of the pioneers who settled in Oklahoma City in 1889, when Oklahoma Territory was first opened to settlement, joined their wives at a dinner meeting and heard a speaker. Although the men were out-numbered and could have been out-voted, Dr. A. C. Scott suggested the desirability of a men’s club. There was immediate and enthusiastic acceptance of the proposal. Not a negative vote was cast.
- It is generally admitted that The Men’s Dinner Club was the pioneer, the forerunner for special-interest groups.
- 75 was set as the initial limit of membership
- In the following years hundreds of enjoyable meetings were held and speakers from many professions, from the Club’s own membership and from many parts of the world have been heard.
- “How long will it last?”…”As long as men love good food, warm friends, and have a zest for learning, as long as lives the free, inquiring, neighborly American spirit.”
- Ladies Night: It has been the custom since its first year 1908, for members to honor their wives by designating one program annually as Ladies Night.
- Father and Child Night: Also the custom for one meeting annually as Father and Child Night when members may bring their sons, sons-in-law, and grandsons and make it a notable occasion. The first Father and Son/Child Night was in April, 1950.
Currently, the OKC Men’s Dinner Club meets at the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum.